birding-aus

Winter update, with signs of spring

To: <>
Subject: Winter update, with signs of spring
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:33:17 +1000
I’ve updated the Abberton website with 26 new photos. Go to
www.abberton.org/birds2007.htm

There are several pics of the winter birds that have been turning up, such as
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, White-plumed Honeyeater and Western Gerygone – all
unusual birds for us. Also an assortment of raptors, and a range of our current
garden birds.

It’s fun in winter to look for signs of spring – well essential really, and
there is plenty of nesting and pairing activity going on here. Striated
Pardalotes are yet again refurbishing a favourite nest hole, Eastern Whipbirds
are creating a great din around the place calling to and pursuing each other. I
got quite close to a male bird yesterday while he was on the verandah giving
his ear-splitting whip-crack call, with a female just beneath us in the
vegetation alongside the house calling her response. I’ve got some photos, but
they’ve missed this update. Eastern Yellow-robins are paired up, busily, and
all three local fairywrens are back into full male plumage, (Superb, Variegated
and Red-backed).

I found a paddock the other day with 14 Banded Lapwings dotted around, all
paired off and spaced around the field in a way that indicates nesting to me.

Two Black-necked Storks together in a local pond on Friday, but although
they’re pretty regular in the valley, I don’t think they’ll be breeding here
any time soon.

I’m very pleased with the Canon 400D camera I’m using, though it’s still
stretching me rather than me stretching it. I’ll try to update more pics later
this week.

All the best

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",