birding-aus

Blue Mountains / Magic Point Trip Report

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Blue Mountains / Magic Point Trip Report
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:45:39 +1000 (EST)
Everyone,

Last Wednesday Nick Livanos and I headed to the big
smoke to pick up a few ticks for the year list. Our
original plan was to spend the day birding around the
Hawkesbury and the Blue Mountains, but the gale force
winds and bitterly cold temps saw as making a flying
visit up the hills and then across town to Magic
Point, Maroubra.
A quick stop at Pugh's Lagoon Richmond, got our day
list started with Intermediate Egret, Red-whiskered
Bulbul and Aust. Grebe.
Next stop was Mt. Wilson in the upper Mountains and
whilst we dipped on Crescent Honeyeater, Pilotbird and
Gang-gang we did see Red-browed Treecreeper and at
least 4-5 Crested Shrike-tit.
Feeling the cold we headed back east towards Winmalee
where we did the Blue Gum Swamp walk. Small groups of
Brown and Striated Thornbill and White-browed
Scrubwren moved through the foliage. A single Brown
Gerygone and 2 Large-billed Scrubwrens reminded me of
warmer times. Eventually our target species made an
appearance with a pair of Rock Warblers feeding on the
track and a White-eared Honeyeater preening nearby.
With the winds still howling we made the last minute
decision to head east along the M4 to Magic Point.
Near the motorway service station 2 cuckoo shaped
birds flew past the car (probably Fan-tailed).
New Holland Honeyeaters greeted us at Maroubra and an
Eastern Reef Egret was hunting on the rocks.
It didn't take long before we had many Black-browed
Albatross in the scope, including one feeding less
than 300m off the headland. Below is our sea watch
results:

Black-browed Albatross.....30-40
Yellow-nosed Albatross.....2+
Fluttering Shearwater......50+ (and my 400th species!)
Australasian Gannet........30+
Great Cormorant............4
Eastern Curlew.............1
Silver Gull................100's
Crested Tern...............10+

We then headed for home after a very successful day
with Nick seeing 5 year ticks and 1 lifter and I
getting 3 year ticks and 1 lifer.
A big thanks to everyone who helped with Blue
Mountains info including Evan, Jill, Graham, Carl,
Peter, Carol and Chris.

Cheers,
Grant Brosie
Raworth, NSW

 Yahoo!7 Mail has just got even bigger and better with unlimited storage on all
webmail accounts.