birding-aus

St Helens Tasmania pelagics May - July 2008

To: birding aus <>
Subject: St Helens Tasmania pelagics May - July 2008
From: Ian May <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:36:12 +0930
Hi  all

Following the success of pelagic birding trips off the east coast of Tasmania over the past two years, I have decided to continue to run trips from St Helens if there is continued interest. I will be running trips during May and July 2008 for up to 16 persons however, if anyone would prefer to gather a group of observers at any other time I will be pleased to organize a sea trip to the continental shelf including the local hot spots based around your preferred itinerary.

We have a choice of boats available, however my preferred charter vessel for pelagic birding is the larger sea going 60' Aluminium Starboat, Nifty II, used successfully in 2006 (Westland Petrel) This vessel has excellent all round viewing areas and is a very substantial ocean going boat.

Seabirds along the east coast of Tasmania tend to congregate in different areas depending on the concentrations of available food, not only prevailing weather etc. Because my work causes me to traverse these seas frequently, I can usually target the hot spots depending which species are sought.

Itinerary options include;

1.    Sea voyage only.   (Minimum 8 passengers)

2.    Sea voyage, Accommodation and meals.

3 Two days during a week option (to pick the best sea conditions over a week).

Berley is supplied. Please contact me for further details if you are interested.

Ian May

St Helens Marine Services
PO Box 110
St Helens,  Tasmania  7216