birding-aus

Rockwarbler eating Leptospermum seeds?

Subject: Rockwarbler eating Leptospermum seeds?
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:59:39 +1000
Here's another feeding observation that I've been meaning to post for a while. On 28th June we watched a pair of Rockwarblers for some time, pecking at something on the ground at the side of a vehicular track on Narrow Neck peninsula near Katoomba. There was no visible food, no ants or other invertebrates, but as it was under a stand of tea-tree (Leptospermum sp.) we examined the seed-capsules on the bushes. Many of them had opened so I think it was most likely that the birds were picking up tiny seeds that had fallen onto the ground. The only other possibility is that they were eating sand or grit. Rockwarblers are known to eat seeds occasionally but Leptospermum seeds are not listed in HANZAB as a known food.

Cheers,

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba