birding-aus

RE: Tawny angel

To: "Chris Glen" <>, "Elizabeth Symonds" <>, "Anthony Overs" <>, "Chris Charles" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: RE: Tawny angel
From: "Plaxy BARRATT" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:47:03 +1000
Hi Chris G, Beth, Anthony, Chris C, and Philip

Thanks for your thoughts on the 'Tawny angel'. Some interesting critical
thinking there Chris G. I'm not yet convinced though, and am still
leaning towards a Tawny. There are certainly flocks of Sulphur-crested
Cockatoos in Toowoomba; that would be about the right size, (if not a
little too large?) to match the impression. While I don't think they
produce as much as Cockatoos, Corellas and Cockatiels, Frogmouths do in
fact have powder-down feathers. Mr Sophie, the Tawny I nursed, would
produce plenty of powdery, feather dander mess on the floor after a good
preening session, bless him.

Philip, I don't know whether the dust (if all swept up) would differ in
colour between a Tawny (potentially more grey) and a Sulphur-crested
Cockatoo (potentially more white)? Chris G thought the particles of
keratin would be too small to carry a colour and that the
crumbly/fragmented edges would tend to be more white, regardless of the
original colour of the material in bulk. Mr Sophie's feather dust was
sort of off-white...!?

The beak-like impression in question does seem a bit of a stretch, I
agree. What if the beak didn't need to make full contact with the glass
to leave an impression though? While they have huge beaks, if you
observe a 'fluffed up' Tawny you can see they have quite a lot of soft
facial plumage around their beak, in the form of a 'beard' and a
'monobrow' if you like! If the bird hit the window with it's head on a
slight downward angle could this then leave a V-like outline of the beak
perhaps?

I do think the ragged edge to the feather impressions is suggestive of a
Tawny. Compared to a Cockatoo, Tawnys seem to have quite soft and more
'flexible' feathers too, which would enable such an upswept wing
impression.

The height of the impact from the ground (I didn't specify, but from the
photos you can see it is on a lower floor window, about 3 ft above the
pavement) suggests something more like a Tawny than a Cockatoo,
especially if, as Beth suggested, the Tawny was swooping for a mouse
inside the building. I haven't personally seen a mouse Beth, but I
really would not be surprised! Another possibility is that the bird in
question was hawking for moths. Chris Charles said he has seen Tawnys go
for moths against windows, without more than brushing the glass. Maybe
this one misjudged?

The article on the Hilton Pond bird observatory website, posted by
Anthony Overs (thanks Anthony, that was an excellent story, much
appreciated in my office) goes into wing dimensions in detail in their
mission to identify a bird. So perhaps as you suggest Chris G this might
be the best evidence in the photo. This is not my forte!

Thanks again for everyone's contributions.

Cheers,

Plaxy