birding-aus

Sharing bird records - from New Jobs and Lists

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Sharing bird records - from New Jobs and Lists
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:09:04 +1000
Thanks Peter - I won't say it's incredible (still too much to do and a few
bugs - indeed I did not plan to announce this for a few weeks but felt it
appropriate in the context of this discussion!)

Yes - many co-ordinates are approximate - many of the Eremaea ones are only
recorded to a 10 minute cell. I hope at some stage to introduce the concept
of a location "owner" (such as Birdpedia has) and then maybe location owners
can make the co-ordinates a little more accurate - I certainly do not have
the time or knowledge to do so.

As to multiple recordings and relationships with the Atlas - for what it's
worth here are my thoughts (and I am sure anyone knowledgeable will correct
me!)

Firstly I can't see anyone bothering to data into two systems - it's not
that hard to enter data but why do it twice?

There is however an issue I feel with WHAT people record - I know many
people who refuse to record feral species for example! There seems to be an
issue in some places that people also only record rarities - anyone who
knows the Western Treatment Plant (WTP)  at Werribee for example will know
it is just about impossible to visit the place without seeing a Black Swan -
I have done it but only a couple of times in more than 100 visits. Yet
Eremaea records it on only 57% of visits! This is NOT a problem with Eremaea
but more the way that people choose to record things. My philosophy is
record everything or nothing - or if you must do a partial list then at
least let it be known that this was the case!

As for the Atlas - yes the data is vetted (as it is to some extent I believe
in Birdpedia and Eremaea) and I accept that BA need to cover some of their
costs. I do have a problem with most vetting systems - after all we all make
mistakes. If I visit the WTP and record a Greenfinch when it was in fact a
Goldfinch no one will pick up this mistake. If I record a Cassowary no-one
will believe me, but if I record a Grass Owl (as I have done) who is to say
if it was accurate or not? I suspect that an "unvetted" system will have 95%
accuracy of data (assuming no-one is being deliberately destructive) and a
"vetted" one maybe 98% - you can argue about the figures but no system can
ever be 100%.

Of course the Atlas as you point out mainly serves the "scientific"
community and Eremaea/Birdpedia are of more interest to people who want to
keep their own list (impossible in the Atlas last time I checked) and want
to record overseas data. Eremaea/Birdpedia also offer quite good data
analysis (especially the monthly summaries that Birdpedia offers) but of
course have less data to analyse!

It is certainly duplicated effort and in a country with relatively few
birders - not sure if other nations have so many on-line systems. I would
certainly hope that one day better interchange will be possible.....

Dave