birding-aus

Trip report - Perth to the Pilbara (and back again) - error

Subject: Trip report - Perth to the Pilbara (and back again) - error
From: Peter Kyne <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:44:17 +1000
Apologies, I just noted a mistake in our posting, was referring to race rubecula of Grey-crowned Babbler on the road into Opthalmia Dam near Newman (as opposed to White-browed Babbler).

Cheers, Pete

------
Dear All,

We know that a few people have done this trek over the last month or so, but we'd like to share some of our highlights of the trip (apart from the Black-tailed Gull and the Grey Falcon previously reported).

We headed north on the North West Coastal Hwy stopping overnight in Shark Bay, Karratha and Port Hedland, and headed back via the Great Northern Hwy, overnighting in Meekatharra and Paynes Find. All new birding territory for the both of us.

Some highlights were (not an exhaustive trip list, and several species seen at a number of different locations):

BLUE-BREASTED FAIRY-WREN at the Murchison River Crossing near Kalbarri NP.

A great random stop about 2km north of Billabong Roadhouse produced CRIMSON CHAT, CHIMING WEDGEBILL (these two common along the route north), DUSKY WOODSWALLOW, SPINY-CHEEKED HONEYEATER, CRESTED BELLBIRD, SPLENDID FAIRY-WREN, RED-CAPPED ROBIN and WHITE-WINGED TRILLER.

THICK-BILLED GRASSWREN, SOUTHERN SCRUB-ROBIN and WHITE-BROWED BABBLER at Monkey Mia. We tried the Thomas and Thomas Little Lagoon site just outside of Denham for the grasswren and I managed only the briefest view of one bird. However, the birds were unbelievably tame in the dunes next to the Monkey Mia carpark (thanks for the tip Frank). We saw about 10 birds in total and had very close encounters with some of them. It seems that it is not only the dolphins that are tame at Monkey Mia, and the Scrub-robin and babblers were very approachable too. We would recommend anyone after the species to head to Monkey Mia first off.

HOODED ROBIN, WHITE-WINGED FAIRY-WREN and HORSFIELD'S BRONZE-CUCKOO at Fowler's Camp Rd, Shark Bay.

PIED HONEYEATER, BROWN SONGLARK and a LITTLE EAGLE at a nest, all north of Carnarvon.

STAR FINCH along the esplanade in Dampier.

MANGROVE GOLDEN WHISTLER and MANGROVE GREY FANTAIL at Point Samson between Karratha and Port Hedland.

PAINTED FINCH, SPINIFEXBIRD, SPINIFEX PIGEON and RED-BACKED KINGFISHER at Whim Creek.

WHITE-BREASTED WHISTLER (females only), DUSKY GERYGONE and YELLOW WHITE-EYE around Port Hedland.

SPINIFEX PIGEON at the Newman Caravan Park.

RED-BROWED PARDALOTE, LITTLE WOODSWALLOW, STAR FINCH and WHITE-BROWED BABBLER (rubecula) along a dry creek bed on the road into Opthalmia Dam, outside of Newman.

A flock of about 50 BUDGERIGARS being harassed by an AUST HOBBY, BROWN FALCON and WHISTLING KITE just north of Munjina.

WESTERN BOWERBIRD at various sites from Karijini National Park south to around Paynes Find.

GREY-HEADED HONEYEATER in Karijini National Park.

REDTHROAT, MULGA PARROT, DIAMOND DOVE and SLATY-BACKED THORNBILL around the Cue region.

RUFOUS FIELDWREN at Lake Austin.

BANDED LAPWING between Paynes Find and Wubin.

A flock of about 50 WESTERN CORELLA digging up an oval at Miling.

Good times. Thanks to all who provided tips and advice before we set off.

Cheers, Pete Kyne (Brisbane) and Claire Bartron (Perth).

Peter M. Kyne

PhD Candidate
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology
University of Queensland
St Lucia 4072 QLD
Ph: (07) 3365 2720 or 3365 2944
Fax: (07) 3365 1299