birding-aus

Rockhampton Report

To: BIRDING-AUS email <>
Subject: Rockhampton Report
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:06:07 +1000
Thanks to all those who offered me suggestions for my time in Rockhampton last weekend. In amongst business, I did get some good birding - mostly at Kershaw Gardens, Botanic Gardens, Port Alma Saltworks, and Mt Archer.

For the weekend, I recorded 80 species, of which 2 were 'lifers' for me - Nutmeg Mannikin and Mangrove Honeyeater. If anyone would like the full list, I'm happy to forward it off list.

Other items of possible interest, though, were 150+ Little Corellas and 2 Long-billed Corellas at the Botanic Gardens - the Littles out of range, according to Pizzey, and the Long-bills well out of range. Both may be from Aviary Escapes, but if so, the Littles in particular would seem to be breeding up quite alarmingly - possibly worth keeping an eye on for both species.

There was one Scrub Turkey in Kershaw Gardens, though this may be quite normal for the area; half a dozen Cotton Pygmy Geese on the lagoon at the Botanic Gardens; 35 Caspian Terns in one 'loafing' group at Port Alma (though no Yellow Chats showed), and a family of 3 Glossy Black Cockatoos at Mt Archer.

A great spot for birding, but as usual, "So many birds! So little time!"

John Tongue
Ulverstone,
Tasmania