birding-aus

Re Singapore

To: <>, "Steve Potter" <>
Subject: Re Singapore
From: "ANDREW ADCOCK" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:39:40 +0100
Hi all,

a trip taken in 2001 .  Anyone who does trips regularly which involve
'stopovers' in major Cities may want to obtain a copy of  'Where to watch Birds
in World Cities' by Paul Milne and there are some very good 'where to watch
birds in' guides available which give logistics and species lists for just
about anywhere in the world.

Singapore Botanical Gardens, good for Spotted Wood Owl, usually behind the
'cool house' and calling from dusk, Goffin's Cockatoo (Corrella, feral) and
Large-tailed Nightjar.

Sime forest runs around the Singapore golf and country club and provides some
good woodland habitat, not too much seen here but did get Banded Woodpecker,
Chestnut bellied Malkoha and Short- tailed Babbler.

Pulau Ubin is a little island in the strait of Johor, you can walk the island
or hire a bicycle, head for Changi village to make the short boat crossing.
The island provides mangrove and forest habitat and a host of tiny but
particularly vicious, Mosquito's.  I saw a pair of Vinous breasted Starlings
here which no one can decide upon the origins of, they could be vagrants or
feral.  The only place on the trip where I saw Laced Woodpecker and also got
quite good views of Red Junglefowl and Mangrove Whistler but no Mangrove Pitta.
 The day I was there coincided with a cycle-cross rally and lots of track
marshals with megaphones rather spoilt the day but I assume this is not a
weekly event?

Cheers, Andy.