birding-aus

Cyclonic Winds 9 June & Storm in Newcastle/LakeMacquarie

To: "'Alan Gillanders'" <>, <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Cyclonic Winds 9 June & Storm in Newcastle/LakeMacquarie
From: "Terry Reis" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:24:34 +1000
Some years ago I attended a lecture at the University of Queensland by
Charles Krebs, a Canadian ecologist and author of the well known text book
Ecology.
His lecture included many statements that I enjoyed immensely, generally
because he denigrated statistics to some degree.
He stated that no meaningful ecological question could be answered during a
PhD (or words to that effect). I'm sure that this did not go down well with
many in the audience, which was comprised almost entirely of post-graduate
students and academics. For those of you conversant with statistics he also
said that you couldn't answer an ecological question with a p value. That
caused me great mirth.

The comment that stuck most firmly in my mind, however, was that ecology is
a narrative.

Certainly it is one that needs to be long in the telling.

Regards
Terry