birding-aus

Hummingbird

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Hummingbird
From: "David Adams" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:13:29 +1000
I am not familiar with the Rivoli's Hummingbird and I can't find it in either
Sibley's guide or
Stokes Field Guide to Birds.  Do you have the scientific name for it please?

I'll chime in on this. "Rivoli's" is another common name for the
"Magnificent Hummingbird" (Eugenes fulgens). The Magnificent is a very
large hummingbird (by N. American standards) and rare in California. I
didn't actualy know it occurred there but it looks like there are
records. That's the sort of bird American birders head to New Mexico
(or Mexico) to spot. When I lived in California (Santa Cruz), the
Allen's and Anna's were far and away the most common breeding species.
Identifying female hummingbirds is often a challenge, to say the
least.