birding-aus

Re: Red-chested Button-quail sighting, Western Queensland

Subject: Re: Red-chested Button-quail sighting, Western Queensland
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
Stuart,

Do you have a GPS waypoint for the Little BQ?

I was out west a month ago and whilst looking for Grey Grasswren just before
Coopers Crossing at S27 30.213 E141 56.553 my mate and I disturbed a lot of
Little Button Quail (the white flanks were quite noticeable).

While we were there we came across a BQ at close range that remained stationary
for a while before wandering off.  We couldn't positively identify it because
it didn't appear to exactly resemble the illustrations in any of our guide
books.  We both felt it was probably a Red-chested BQ but because we were
disturbing Little BQ all around us (~20-30) neither of us was willing to make
the call.  It appeared to have bright rufous around the face, ear coverts,
possibly a collar, and then appeared to extend down the sides of the breast.
It was still pale underneath and the boundaries to the rufous areas were
patchy.  Both my mate and I have been scratching our heads since as to what we
saw.  Anybody got any ideas?

The vegetation in the area was lignum and grasses.

Oh, and we kind of, sort of, saw the Grey Grasswren - pretty much like
everybody else I suspect...

Carl Billingham

How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in
Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/aunz/lifestyle/answers/y7ans-babp_reg.html