birding-aus

Koel and pratincole

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Koel and pratincole
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:48:44 +0800
There is an Australian Pratincole at the Mt Barnett Sewage ponds (Gibb River
Road, Kimberley, Western Australia.) In all the time I have been here this is
the first time I have seen one. One had been on the Gibb River community
airstrip and at about the time it disappeared from there, one turned up here.

Amazingly yesterday pm 30 May, a Koel called from woodland just outside our
house. As I understand it all Koels are believed to leave Australia but this
was undoubtedly a Koel call.

Don Hadden
PMB 922
Derby