birding-aus

Hawks & Swifties in Focus at Bateau Bay NSW

To: <>
Subject: Hawks & Swifties in Focus at Bateau Bay NSW
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 17:37:59 +1000
Hi Birders,

Today was one of those raptor days! Belina Cooke, the Swift Parrot Co-ordinator joined me for a mornings bird watching and while having a welcoming cup of tea on the patio, the Noisy Miners alerted us to hawk, and we just caught a glimse of a Peregrine flying through. Alas, no Swifties in Murray St this morning.

We went down to Sutton Reserve and again drew a blank, and then together with Lyall & Carl Webber, we walked to Lakin St Bateau Bay, where Swifties had been seen the last two evenings. Not much to see at first, probably because an immature Square-tailed Kite circled around and over the site at tree top level for well over half an hour. For most of that time the Kite was mobbed by a flock of Galahs, and at one stage, by two White-breasted Sea-Eagles. The Kite was an immature, determined by its not very white bullseyes on the wings, and black tips to primaries, not black & white barred as in an adult, and the face was not very white. While we heard a few Swifties and had a brief view of one, the Kite upset all the Rainbow & Musk Lorikeets, and presumably that was what made the Swift Parrots lie low too!. This is the only second record that I have for a Square-tailed Kite at Bateau Bay. We walked across to the Rushby St wetlands via Bias Avenue, and watched a Hobby make a number of swoops on the Square-tailed Kite. We returned after about 20 minutes to Lakin St, between Patmore and Point Street, where we were joined by C. Cordon, and were able to find atleast 20 Swift Parrots feeding in a group of about 5 flowering Swamp Mahogany trees. Extended views were had of these birds, some juveniles were noted to be present. While we were watching the Swifties an Osprey flew over, pursed by an immature Sea-Eagle (5 raptores!).

Later in the afternoon Belina and I visited the Tuggerah Reserve Trust's Pioneer Dairy Swamp, where another Hobby was seen and finally I called in at the nearby Tuggerah STW where there were 11 Whistling Kites roosting on a few exposed trees in the centre of the ponds, and one or two appeared to be feeding on something in the long grass on an island in the Ponds, possibly a waterbird carcase. Finally a Swamp Harrier flew over! All up 20 raptors of 7 species, and great views of Swift Parrots to boot!

Alan Morris