birding-aus

Reporting exotic species to government authorities

Subject: Reporting exotic species to government authorities
From: Peter Kyne <>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 16:42:16 +1000
Hi all,

I would like to recount my experiences today after recording the Rose-ringed Parakeet at Sherwood Arboretum in Brisbane this morning. I don't mean to be critical of any one department or agency, but wish to highlight a problem with the "system".

I endeavoured this morning to report my sighting of an exotic species to an appropriate authority. Where there are established feral populations, these adaptive birds have become serious agricultural, environmental and economic pests.

So, I thought that someone might be interested to hear about our sighting. From responses to my initial posting this morning, it seems that the species has only been recorded irregularly in Brisbane and appear to be of individual escapees. However, early detection and eradication of exotics (and potential pest species) is essential to ensure we do not have another pest to deal with in the future.

So, I rang the Qld EPA. I was passed onto the Rangers at Daisy Hill. I explained my sighting and the ranger thought I was reporting a sick or injured bird. I re-explained and was informed that it was outside of EPAs jurisdiction as it was not on EPA/National Parks land. Thus I should contact Council. I rang Brisbane City Council who informed me that it was the jurisdiction of EPA and DNR (Dept of Natural Resources). I explained that was not the case according to their website and that I would like to talk to a pest management officer. They were not available and have not returned my call. So I tried DNR. It is outside their jurisdiction because it is not a Declared Pest Species....

...7 phone calls in all to be informed by everyone that it was someone else's problem. Glad to see Indian Mynas are doing so well in Brisbane (sarcasm)!

At the end of day I am hoping that a single bird doesn't matter, but....frustrated.

Happy birding, Pete Kyne

Peter M. Kyne

PhD Candidate
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology
University of Queensland
St Lucia 4072 QLD
Ph: (07) 3365 2720 or 3365 2944
Fax: (07) 3365 1299