birding-aus

Australian Pratincoles

Subject: Australian Pratincoles
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:18:26 +1000
It's about 18 months since we had a new bird on the house list, but
Australian Pratincole today brought the Abberton list up to 207.

Seen from the verandah this-morning, by Eileen and our son Owen (visiting
from Wales), two Australian Pratincoles flew in from the south, and sailed
up and around in unison over the presently dry creek, for about a minute,
alternating cruising on long swept-back wings with occasional synchronised
flapping.

Instantly recognisable as pratincoles, and showing the bright sandy back and
wings contrasting with black primaries and secondaries that mark out the
Australian from Oriental. Both have occured here in the Lockyer Valley.

We filmed and photographed Collared Pratincoles doing the much the same
thing in Spain last year,
but it's doubly exciting to have pratincoles on the house list!

Spotted Harrier here this-morning too, and a couple of Wedge-tailed Eagles
not too high over the pratincoles.

Bill Jolly
"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.