birding-aus

Easter in the Victorian Mallee

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Easter in the Victorian Mallee
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:11:13 +1000
Hi All,

Spent Easter with Jen at Hattah-Kulkyne. We enjoyed the milder conditions
compared with the last time we were there but again we virtually had the place
to ourselves, and in 4 days never saw another pair of binoculars. The big
surprise was that most of the lakes had a good level of water, although it was
hard to get views of open water because of all the sapling River Gums lining
the edges.

Birding highlights were Mallee Emu-wren dancing on our toes on the Nowingi
Track, and at least 2 Striped Honeyeater in the same area. Along the Mournpall
Track we found Pied Honeyeater and the always delightful White-backed Swallow,
while Chestnut-crowned Babbler frolicked below. Pink Cockatoo flew over the
campsite at Mournpall, Regent Parrot seemed to be in all habitats and Chestnut
Quail-thrush were surprisingly only seen once in a burnt-out area. Southern
Boobook serenaded all night, every night.

Biggest dips were Striated Grasswren despite many hours over three days
spinifex-bashing and the Birding-Aus camp-out. Then there was also the very
large grey bird that flew steadily and stringly away from us down the Konardin
Track at around sunset. Best guesses were Malleefowl (Jen), Bush Stone-curlew
(me) and White-faced Heron (a desperate suggestion).

We had a fantastic time, the lakes are full and the birding fantastic. A great
way to spend Easter.

Cheers

Joy Tansey