Kuala Lumpur birding

Subject: Kuala Lumpur birding
From: <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:52:02 +1000
Hi all,

Moving on from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur I was able to fit in a 3 day weekend and 
go to Taman Negara in the rainforests of central Malaysia.

The bus trip to the small village where I boarded a 10 +/- metre long canoe 
with an outboard motor took about 3 hours and then the canoe trip was about 
another 3 hours. I was the only person going to a small “resort” called Nusa 
Camp so had the whole canoe to myself – all very Katherine Hepburn African 
Queen stuff.

I had made a mistake with my bookings. I had meant to book to go to the 
government “resort” which is a good 4 star. Nusa Camp is so far from the star 
rating system I doubt they have even heard of it. It is way out in the jungle 
with a few little cabins with just a fan for cooling. The beds are small and 
wire framed with a bit of a mattress and the floor of the bathroom is tiled 
with a shower in one corner, a toilet in another and a washbasin. All very 

The mistake worked out well though as when we reached the boat dock for the 
trip up river there were bus loads of European tourists all heading for the 
govt resort. At Nusa there were about 6 guests altogether.

Birding was brilliant with 4 types of hornbill and swags of birds with weird 
names like Fulvetta, Barbet, Niltava, Shama etc. There are even real live 
Leafbirds! And of course really cute things like the Fork-tails and the 
Babblers (not like ours, they are tiny like wren-type things). Total count for 
the three days was 56 species. Best birds, to my mind, were the White-crowned 
Hornbill and the Black Magpie; but then off course the sight of an ultra-cute 
Fork-tail bouncing over the moss-covered rocks of a tiny rainforest streambed 
is always very special.

Another highlight was coming back down the river. We left the camp at about 
9:00 and for the first hour and a half there were huge numbers of raptors 
migrating overhead. I would look up and see one bird and then, as I watched, 
others would slowly rise out of the trees, often as many as 15 or 20, and 
spiral up on thermals before drifting off to the north. During the hour and a 
half of watching there would have been hundreds. Magnificent sight.

And the most frustrating thing? There is a cicada in those forests that sounds 
just like a bird – and it took me 2 days of crashing around in the forest, 
dodging barbed vines and gooey mud before I found out that the noise wasn't 
coming from a small bundle of feathers in the top of a tree but a hard backed 
flying beetley thing.



To unsubscribe from this mailing list,
send the message:
(in the body of the message, with no Subject line)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU