birding-aus

Windfarm good news in the US

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Windfarm good news in the US
From: "Terry Bishop" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:11:10 +1000

One of the good law in the USA is the coal fired power stations are required to
report bird mortalities. In Australia they don't have any such law. In the US
there have been reports of up to 3000 per night at one coal fired power station.
What about the thousands of deaths a year by planes, trains and cars. Thousands
have been killed by cyanide & lead mining accidents. Thousands are killed by
poisonous algae blooms caused by excess phosphates added to waterway. Don't
forget the plastic, fishing line and fish hook deaths.
During a study we did at the Blayney windfarm (on the banks of Carcoar dam) when
first started we has 6 deaths in the first year. One manmade death is to many
but are we going to ban all power stations, transport, fishing, and mining.