birding-aus

alice springs and APY lands

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: alice springs and APY lands
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:59:07 +0930
To Greg and others looking for info in relation to Alice Springs the only bird
off of Greg's list that I can give info on is chiming wedgebill-a couple of kms
east of Emily Gap birds are plentiful, many crested bellbirds, diamond doves
and budgeriagars.  Chiming wedgebill heard on right hand side of road facing
east but not located.
Other birds of interest were last week orange chat on Maryvale road, just below
airport and spotted harrier.

Of interest today was that I was returning from Amata(on the APY lands
northwestern SA)  today and there had been 4- 5 hours of rain last night,
forming large puddles on teh road, between Amata and Umuwa.  There were three
hoary heade grebes each with their own mini-lake(in other words singly) and
they would either fly to the next puddle or dive under until we had passed.
They were certainly quick off of the mark-they were certainly quick off of the
mark in getting there.  There were also some teal duck, assumedly grey teal,
but seen from travelling vehicle in light rain I couldn't be sure.

GAry