birding-aus

Maryborough Watchers Inskip Point Trip

To: <>
Subject: Maryborough Watchers Inskip Point Trip
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:52:28 +1000
Hi All,

The Maryborough (QLD) Birdwatchers have started up again for the year and
for our first trip of the year we went to Rainbow Beach (QLD) to explore
Inskip Point, Bymien Picnic area and Searys Creek.

My goal for the day was the BBBQs, since I missed them last time I was
there.   As soon as the bus pulled up a small group of us took off for the
usual BBBQ area and after a short search we found a male and female
scratching around in the leaf litter.  I can now finally add BBBQs to my
list!  We had some nice clear views until they eventually scurried off out
of sight.

Other highlights of the day included Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos (seen
just outside Maryborough), Scarlet Honeyeaters, plenty of White-cheeked
Honeyeaters (always one of my favourites), Spectacled Monarch and plenty of
Varied Trillers.

Our lunch stop was the Bymien Picnic area just outside Rainbow Beach (has
some great rainforest walks) and those up for a walk made their way to Lake
Poona.  There were no fruiting palms or trees so we didn't see any of the
fruit doves.  We did see Pale Yellow Robins, Scrubrwens (Large Billed and
White-browed), Catbirds and there were 11 Aust Grebes (and nothing else) on
Lake Poona.

A quick stop at Searys Creek (a small boardwalk beside a freshwater creek)
added Grey Shrike Thrush and Red-browed Finch to the days list.

We all had a great day of birding and I'm still excited about the BBBQs!

Thanks and Happy Birding!

Lee

Hervey Bay (QLD)