birding-aus

Re little Wattlebird

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re little Wattlebird
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:51:03 +1100
Dear All,

Bob Inglis wrote "I think we can safely say that the split has taken place if
we can accept the entries for Little and Western Wattlebird in HANZAB*. The
Western Wattlebird is recognised as occurring in SW Western Australia and
Little Wattlebird occurs in the east." in response to my posting suggesting a
sighting of the western form of this bird is a potential split.

My understanding is (and I would be delighted to be corrected by someone as it
would be a tick!) is that the official list is that set out in Christides and
Bowles (1994) as supplemented by any additions approved by BARC. I further
understand that C&B lump the Eastern and Western races. I have personally
adopted the policy of not counting a species unless it is "official"

While HANZAB and the BA revised list show the Western Wattlebird as a separate
species my understanding has been that neither of these sources are "official"
- whatever that actually means.
Regards
Peter Marsh