birding-aus

Square-tailed Kite Hawkesbury

To: "kbrandwood" <>
Subject: Square-tailed Kite Hawkesbury
From: "michael hunter" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:20:07 +1100
Hi Keith,
              I went out to your area last friday afternoon but didn't see
anything out of the ordinary , what time of day are the Kites and Ravens
active? I drove around the back paddocks north of Richmond.
               I saw a Harrier down here in Mulgoa Valley a week or so ago,
it was a Swamp Harrier with very obvious white rump. You picked up a Spotted
Harrier recently, making the Sydney Basin quite good for raptors. Also had a
pair of Sea Eagles, they visit a large dam nearby, Wedgies fly over from
time to time, had a pair of Bazas a few years ago. Brown Falcons nested on
my place when we first moved in 20 years ago, only occasionally see one
nowdays. Grey Goshawks are regular, particularly White morphs, Sparrowhawks
and Brown Goshawks also patrol the western slopes of the valley, have a go
at our canary from time to time. Black-shouldered Kites and Kestrels were
resident here a few years ago but not recently, although I did see a BSKite
at Richmond the other day, and have seen Whistling Kites out your way. We
get the odd Peregrine and Hobby as well.
                                                             Cheers
                                                                 Michael