birding-aus

A five robin day

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: A five robin day
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:38:09 +1100
Hi all,

Yesterday, I had an interesting trip with Tim Dolby out to Melbourne¹s
east/north-east ranges, the highlight being good views of all 5 ³southern²
robins.

The first was a pair of Scarlet Robin on the Tynong road up to Bunyip NP.
The day started slowly, however, with no sign of previously reported Spotted
Quail-thrush and Beautiful Firetail at Dyers Creek picnic ground. A Noisy
Friarbird was slightly unusual here though. Bunyip can be busy (trail bikes
etc) especially on a public holiday, which didn¹t help....

We then travelled across to Toolangi (Wirrawilla track) where we had more
luck with several Rose Robin, a calling Superb Lyrebird, Red-browed
Treecreeper, a single Pink Robin and excellent views of a singing Pilotbird.

We then finished further up the hill at the Mt Tanglefoot carpark where
Flame Robin was common, plus we had good views of both Olive Whistler and
Large-billed Scrubwren.

All in all a good day, made even better with the 5 robins (Eastern Yellow,
Scarlet, Rose, Pink and Flame),

Cheers,
Greg