birding-aus

More on Sabine's Gull

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: More on Sabine's Gull
From: "Shirley Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:49:04 +1100
Dear all,

David Capen has replied to my request for clarification re location of the gull. Here is what he says:

"I'm sorry for the confusion. We were walking along North Beach toward Urunga. We first spotted the gull almost to the river outlet. The gull and the group of crested terns that it was with then flew along the beach to a point just across from the end of the boardwalk. We flushed them again and they went back to where we had initially seen them, on North Beach proper.

"I mentioned the boardwalk just as a landmark for where we had seen them across the river, but also because I'm sure someone could have seen the birds easily enough with a spotting scope from the boardwalk.

"I'm sorry to hear that no one observed the bird today. I hope it is still about. The gull seemed to be pretty attached to the group of terns.

"Best,

"David"

If anyone is considering going to search for the gull, please refer to my earlier posting with a description of the area. I feel sure that the gull is no longer there. David Capen walked the length of North Beach between Mylestom and the river mouth - a very long walk indeed.

Our group yesterday walked part of the way down the beach but there were dogs and also 4WD tracks. Then in Urunga we had the telescope trained on the terns across the river from the boardwalk. There was no sign of anything unusual amongst them.

Regards

Shirley

Shirley Cook
Secretary/Treasurer