birding-aus

Waders and cracked mud

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Waders and cracked mud
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 11:40:06 +1100
Wetlands that dry out then refill have a much higher productivity than ones that are permanetly wet. Its something to do with nutrient cycling, but I can't remember exactly how it works. Part of it is when innundated vegetation rots down to produce a burst of nutrient in the lake and everything goes into overdrive to make the most of the good conditions. However this phenomena also occurs in dried mud dams, without vegetation, so there is something else going on.

One of the best examples of this is Pittown Lagoon in north western Sydney. I went there with Evan Beaver in October-November last year when it was completely dry. 6 weeks later it was full and there were thousands of birds, the highlights of which have been well documented on B-aus.

Cheers
Graham Turner