birding-aus

Coffs - Illuka trip report

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Coffs - Illuka trip report
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:02:07 +1100 (EST)
Everyone,

Nick Livanos and I headed north on Thursday for a
quick business / birding trip.
Greg Clancy showed us a pair of Black-necked Stork
with 3 young, heaps of Comb-crested Jacana with young,
and WHITE-THROATED HONEYEATER in and around Coutt's
Crossing. Also seen nearby were Magpie Geese and
Plumed Whistling-duck.
Following Greg's very valuable information we headed
towards Lawrence and Maclean seeing 4 species of
egret, Pink-eared Duck, Jacana and Osprey.
At Yamba we eventually saw 3 MANGROVE HONEYEATER after
much time and walking. Mangrove Gerygone, Rainbow
Bee-eater, Bar-shouldered Dove and heaps of Crested
Tern were also seen.
Heading further north we stopped at Woody Point north
of Illuka for lunch (at 5:15pm...god I love
twitching). On the rocks to the south we came across
Ruddy Turnstone, Red-necked Stint, Sooty
Oystercatcher, Striated Heron, Reef Egret, Lesser Sand
Plover and 3 GREATER SAND PLOVER.
Last stop before dark was at the Illuka rainforest.
Wonga Pigeon was seen and Rose-crowned Fruit-dove
called once but it was too late in the day to see
anything else.
Next morning we headed back to Illuka and into the
rainforest. Spectacled Monarch were calling and 2
LITTLE SHRIKE-THRUSH put on a great show above our
heads. The track was quiet overall with a few
Large-billed Scrubwrens, 4 Eastern Whipbird and
Figbirds, but as we were heading back to the car we
heard a familiar call and eventually 2 White-eared
Monarch were seen in the tree tops.
Then it was time to head south for business with the
only highlights being 2 Spangled Drongo, 1
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike and Little Lorikeet on the
highway between Grafton and Coffs.
Over the 2 days we saw 125-130 species, including 4
lifers for my 'almost to 400' list.
Thanks to everyone who assisted with information
especially Greg Clancy.

Until next trip,
Grant Brosie
Raworth