birding-aus

Coxen's Fig-Parrot

To: <>
Subject: Coxen's Fig-Parrot
From: "russ lamb" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:38:48 +1000
I find myself in complete accord with Andrew Thelander's views about the
existence of Coxen's Fig-Parrot (the "first" figparrot subspecies according to
the "Parrots & Pigeons of Australia " volume of The National Photographic Index
of Australian Wildlife). Like Andrew I have not seen the bird, but live in an
area where the bird has been reported seen (the southern end of the Blackall
Range). I know of two persons who claim to have seen Coxen's and believe their
sightings to be credible.
   I live in hope of one day seeing this rare bird, and having seen both FNQ
subspecies believe I would recognize Coxen's if it presented itself.And, yes
they would be difficult to separate from Little Lorikeet, and I've had that
adrenalin rush once when a small flock of Little's flew into flowering euc. on
our property.

I also share Andrew's concern at the possible damage to the Coxen's Recovery
Plan that the current controversy ( the "fourth" figparrot) may cause.Like most
of us, I know and respect John Young's expertise as a birder, but can also see
the potential for collateral damage with the general public and government if
the issue of the "fourth" subspecies is not resolved.
  Two more points re the Coxen's. Skeptics should turn to page 292 of the New
Atlas and have a look at the red dot in the SE corner of Qld., and ask
themselves whether the BA Atlas vetting process would not have asked some hard
questions before accepting the sighting(s).And secondly, the above-mentioned
"Parrots & Pigeons of Austalia" , in discussing the first figparrot described
by Gould reports that the collector, a Mr Waller, stated "During the month of
June 1866, it was shot by a sawyer near a mountain scrub, about thirty miles
(fifty kilometres) from Brisbane". Those following this thread will remember
the item in the Courier Mail a few days ago about the farmer  who claims to
have found a dead figparrot on his property at Elimbah,only for it to have
disappeared. Well, guess how far, roughly, Elimbah is from Brisbane?? You're
right, and I bet is was either a Coxen's or a Little Lorikeet.

Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ