birding-aus

Port Stephens NSW

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Port Stephens NSW
From: "Stuart, Alan AD" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:36:36 +1100
On Sunday 18 Feb, Hunter BOC did a survey of Port Stephens (which is
located approx 60km N of Newcastle NSW).  The main purpose was to count
the waders present but we recorded all waterbirds while we are at it.
This is the 4th year of such a survey, which is done in collaboration
with the local NPWS office.  We had 6 teams go out in boats, which were
arranged and skippered by NPWS, and the teams simultaneously surveyed
various sub-sections of Port Stephens at high tide.  We have used the
same methodology in all 4 years of surveying.

The total for the waders was 1,750 birds, and also 1,988 other
waterbirds were present.  Both of these counts are fairly consistent
with 2 of the previous years (in the other year, the counts for
everything were down by about 50-70%).  Details were:

Black-tailed Godwit        1

Bar-tailed Godwit           809

Whimbrel                      215

Eastern Curlew              329

Common Greenshank     13

Terek Sandpiper             6

Grey-tailed Tattler          100

Ruddy Turnstone            5

Red-necked Stint           59

Pied Oystercatcher        108

Sooty Oystercatcher      11

Red-capped Plover         41

Lesser Sand Plover        3

Masked Lapwing            50

Black Swan                   418

Aust. Wood Duck          41

Pacific Black Duck         35

Grey Teal                      10

Chestnut Teal                25

Little Penguin                1

Darter                           5

Little Pied Cormorant      97

Pied Cormorant              221

Little Black Cormorant    17

Great Cormorant            55

Australian Pelican          156

White-faced Heron         44

Little Egret                    2

Great Egret                   9

Striated Heron               11

Nankeen Night Heron     8

Australian White Ibis      192

Royal Spoonbill              1

Arctic Jaeger                 1

Silver Gull                      449

Gull-billed Tern               19

Caspian Tern                 1

Crested Tern                  161

Common Tern                5

Little Tern                      4

>From what I understand about population estimates, the Pied
Oystercatchers were present at 1% of the world population for the
species and Eastern Curlew at fractionally under 1%, and the Whimbrel
numbers represent about 2% of the Australian migrating population.

Alan

This message and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination,
copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the
disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in
error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.