birding-aus

little button quail

To: John Tongue <>
Subject: little button quail
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 17:25:28 +1000
Eucla BBO?

On Saturday, February 17, 2007, at 06:05  PM, John Tongue wrote:

Gary,
a very interesting observation, but where was this "telegraph station"?

John Tongue
Hobart

On Saturday, February 17, 2007, at 03:34  PM, gary wright wrote:

On 20/1/07 I was birding the area behind the telegraph station and in getting a good luck at female brown songlark I came up slowly to base of acacia bush. Fortunately there were a pair of little button quail who didn't realise that I was there and I was able to observe them at close range feeding. The female had beautiful pink blush and a black line near her ear. What was intriguing though was the way of walking of the quail. They rocked forward in a manner as if there feet were glued to the ground and after a number of times of this they would then take a step. The same would occur when they were reaching out to feed on some vegetation-the head would rock towards it in the glued feet manner before finally taking a piece of vegetaiton in the beak. I stood motionless and the quails constantly checked out both sides of the bush, seemingly for danger.

A very fortunate interlude!

Gary Wright