birding-aus

Number of Birders in Australia

To: Carl Clifford <>, " \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: Number of Birders in Australia
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:39:13 +1100 (EST)
My questions are: What classifies a person as a birder? What is the definition?

  Also, what are the stats in the US?

  A quick search provided me with:

  "According to a 2001 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Study, some 46 million Americans
considered themselves birder", which came from this website:

  http://www.mountainnature.com/Birds/

  Regards,
  Charles Hunter (birder)
  Paddington, Sydney

Carl Clifford <> wrote:
  Dear All,

Perhaps the major birding groups such as Birds Australia and BOCA
could as the Australian Bureau of Statistics to include birding as
one of the pastimes they include in their surveys. I have just done a
trawl through the ABS site to see if there may be some figures on
birding participation, but to no avail. I did discover that 0.2%
percent of the population admits to playing Royal Tennis though.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford