birding-aus

Re: Ringed Plover at Martin's Tank WA

To: birdswa email list <>
Subject: Re: Ringed Plover at Martin's Tank WA
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:46:56 +0900

I (and at least three others) failed to see the Ringed Plover today (Monday 5th February). It was seen and photographed on Saturday and Sunday. I may try again later this week.

Further to my instructions before, head south of Mandurah and turn right after about 55km to Preston Beach. After about 9km, turn right as you get the 40kph sign for a left bend. Follow this limestone / sandy track for about 4km to the turnoff to Martin's Tank. But rather than taking this track, go another 50 metres and turn right on Pollard Road. Follow this for 1km and park at the gate across the road. Follow the red / pink tapes down to the lake shore. Walk along the shore to your left (clockwise) for 20 minutes until you get to the island. You need to walk about 10 metres across to the island, so take thongs or sandals and leave your boots on the shore. There were 24 Hooded Plovers on the island (about 100 metres wide by 50 metres across). Do not disturb the Hooded Plovers, as this is a breeding season. One pair were observed mating today.