birding-aus

tripod suggestions for scope?

To: "Paul Jacobson" <>
Subject: tripod suggestions for scope?
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 00:25:24 +1100
Hi Paul,
An important feature on a spotting scope is the method of securing the leg adjustments. Screws can be a slow method of setting up, especially when the bird may be on the move. They can also be less secure if you haven't tightened the screw well enough. My astronomical scope has collapsed a couple of times due to the screws not being tight enough when I thought it was.

The weight can also be a major factor if you are planning to carry the scope any distance over your shoulder.

Mine is a relatively strong yet lightweight scope with leg adjustment which snap into postion quickly and relatively quietly - you don't want to scare the birds away with a loud snap!
Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island
Victoria