birding-aus

Birds of Northern South America

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birds of Northern South America
From: <>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:26:53 +1000
Got my 2 volumes of BONSA......on reserve waiting
since mid last year.
Won't and (can't because of time) do a proper review ,
but from first glance it looks fantastic.
Some of the common names are different from other guides....
presume this later guide uses the preferred names(?).....it's
hard enough with the thousands of species over there without
having to resort to scientific names!

The field guide with plates and distribution maps is
no larger than Pizzey and Knight....the plates themselves
appear excellent showing male and female as well as some
plumage variations.......The second volume is larger (880 pgs
vs 656) and is the text........

Previous guides are largely country specific and huge in
size making them impractical in the field as well as heavy to lug
around on planes etc

In short, we now have a genuine field guide to take when
visiting the Amazonas and other regions in Brazil, Ecuador,
Venezuela, Colombia, Guyana ,Suriname and French Guiana.

I only wish I had them on the last 2 trips!

Bought from Andrew Isles....not cheap (over AUD200)
By Robin Restall

Cheers,

Bill Moorhead