birding-aus

Western Queensland Rain

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Queensland Rain
From: <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:13:51 +1000
Hi folks,

Just thinking about 200+mmof rain in a huge area of Western Qld
but ,specifically ,my favourite place on the planet, the Simpson Desert.
I have just heard that Eyre Ck is running....The Grey and Eyrean
Grasswrens will be nesting soon ....the Lignum is powering on
from the semi-dormant 'dead look' as I type....the yellowish tinge
of  the thousands of previously dry dunes will now be bright red
.....my youngest son, Jack, would be rolling down them....(I'd join in too)
We'll be stranded between a couple of the 12 or more crossings
for a week or 2 or 3...who cares....I'd have my 10litre Cask of Campbell's Dry
Red
.....plenty of other supplies.....the satellite phone will make the call to
home to say. 'We are stranded and won't be in for a while, Jack will miss
a bit of school, Bill can't get to work......'.When we get bored with the
nesting grasswrens, we'll check out the Banded Whitefaces, Black Falcons
and the tens of thousands of Budgies swarming around. That illusive
flock of Princess Parrots may just pass by for a look....Fortunately we
would have our Reptile, Butterfly and Mammal ID books......numerous new
small marsupials, geokoes will be seen............Those great little fellas,
the Desert Short-tailed Mice will starting to breed like crazy after 5 poor
years.
Jack will feed them.....naughty......but!
Then the trip home.......stopping at our spot between Birdsville and Bedourie.
The Greater Bilbies will have had their litters of 2 each.....this time ,I'll
remember
to use the flash...........Back into mobile range.....bugger.........hang on
I'm still
here in Bundy and have to go to work.....same answer.....bugger!
Cheers,
Bill