birding-aus

hawkesbury birds

To: <>
Subject: hawkesbury birds
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:27:57 +1100
    Re.Orb spiders, or rather the lack of them.....
A few weeks ago whilst birding on the Gunbower island I watched a Brown
Treecreeper working out how to get at a large orb spider from the middle of
its expansive web. It flew at it a couple of times, but I guess they aren't
the best hoverers.  It then proceeded to peck at the web where it was
attached to the branch.  It took a while, and of course it had to break a
couple of the anchor points, but eventually it succeeded, the spider swang
across and was despatched by the creeper.  I'd often wondered how a large
tasty? morsel such as an Orb spider could survive bird attack in the bush,
they seem like they are just waiting to be eaten.
Has anyone else seen birds taking Orb spiders?.
Simon Starr.

> Keith said,
> "Here in the Hawkesbury there is certainly a shortage of spiders, walking
> through the bush you normally have to hold a stick in front of you to ward
> the webs off your face. Also butterflies are not common must be the
drought
> are you finding it the same."
>
> Paul said,
   Here, in Bulahdelah, there is an abundance of ground dwelling spiders;
wolf