birding-aus

Help identifying waterbird

To: "Russell Woodford" <>, <>
Subject: Help identifying waterbird
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:47:17 +1100
3 unanimous votes for Marsh Sandpiper.  And given that it isn't as uncommon as
it was, it's even more unlikely to be juvenile Wilson's Phalarope than I
thought. Is it worth reporting to Birdline?  (I also saw a Buff-banded Rail
there - worth reporting too?)

Even though you people are certain what it is, I'd like to learn how to be
certain for myself for next time.  Is there any features visible in my photos
that positively distinguish it?  The shape of the edge of the feathers where
they meet the beak is shown as quite different in Simpson & Day.  Is that a
reliable feature to use?  Or should I just try to get a glimpse of the tail or
feet next time?  Or just assume it just won't be a Wilson's Phalarope?