birding-aus

Goats at the You Yangs

Subject: Goats at the You Yangs
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:29:13 +1100
Good observations Russell.  I've also observed these same goats and seen
feral goats on French Island (eg. saltmarshes on the north coast) as well.
 They have been in the You Yangs for some years I believe.

I understand that at least on the island Parks Victoria has been removing
them, especially the females.  Like you, however, I haven't encountered
any rangers at the You Yangs Regional Park north of Geelong on most of
visits.  To get a response to the removal of these hard-hoofed animals I
advise contacting the Ranger in Charge (RIC) for this area by ringing the
Parks Victoria Call Centre on 13 1963.

Feral Goats have severely effected the You Yangs populations of the
Brittle Greenhood Pterostylis truncata leading to local extinctions of
this rare and threatened orchid.

Would be a good idea to put your thoughts into a brief letter to the RIC
and the Manager Parks and Reserves, Parks Victoria, 500 Bourke St.
(Melbourne).  It's only by raising these concerns that the issue may be
dealt with.

cheers, Martin