birding-aus

Parrot Aviary escape..anyone know what species it is?

To: "Matthew Frederiksen" <>
Subject: Parrot Aviary escape..anyone know what species it is?
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:43:00 +1100
Hi Matthew and all,
A few months ago the same species (same bird ?) was reported to Birdline
Victoria from Kew in Melbourne and was apparently nesting. By the time
someone from DSE had gone to investigate, the nest hole was occupied by
Rainbow Lorikeets, perhaps suggesting that they could have a hard time
competing with the already resident Aussie species.......though I wouldn't
be so sure.
There must be a good chance that these Parakeets could become established,
if you see it again I'd report it pretty quickly to the relevant
authorities.
Cheers,
Simon Starr.