birding-aus

Pocket PCs for Bird Calls

To: "'Frank O'Connor'" <>, <>
Subject: Pocket PCs for Bird Calls
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:48:17 +1100
Hi Frank,

I have a HP IPAQ RX1950 with a 1 gig RAM chip installed.
I downloaded the shareware program DB Anywhere which allows you to transfer
Access databases to the pocket PC and have so far set up records for all of
the birds on the BA Australian list (about 830).

I have added photographs of every bird on the list, about 100 of my own, and
others mainly found on the internet or in books, obviously a lot of these
are copyright so I can only use them for my own private use.

I have also added about 90 bird calls from  a CD as well as using the device
to record some of my own then transferring them to the database.
Unfortunately, my hearing range is severely limited, so bird calls are not
of much use to myself, however the above does work.

The IPAQ is quite useful for birding as you can use it as a digital voice
recorder to take notes in the field, tick lists, record birds, look up
photos (as long as the light is not too bright) etc.

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds