birding-aus

Gloucester Tops, Barrington Tops National Park, 7/1/07-9/1/07

Subject: Gloucester Tops, Barrington Tops National Park, 7/1/07-9/1/07
From: "Nigel Jackett" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:28:25 +1100
Hi everyone,

Christina Baker and I spent 2 nights at Gloucester Tops in search of Rufous
Scrub-bird and Olive Whistler. The first day (8th) was very cold and
drizzly, but the second day (9th) was sunny and reasonably warm (at 1500m!).

RUFOUS SCRUB-BIRD:

2 were seen on the 9th about 1km down Kerripit Rd at a gully/creekline. This
site was mentioned by Alan McBride on birding-aus as well as in person the
day before as he showed an american birder around!
Very good views were obtained as one bird (female) literally stood on a
stick within 1m of our feet as we sat on a log. Another bird (male) was
calling about 5m from us hiding in the Lomandra.

OLIVE WHISTLER:

1 Male easily seen in the beech forest at the end of Kerripit Rd. Several
others were calling in this area. More were also heard along the Beech
Forest Walk and Gloucester Falls tracks.

Cheers,

Nigel Jackett