birding-aus

Re DRC-1339

Subject: Re DRC-1339
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:25:31 +1000
If any one is trying to access the news item in Qld Country Life - For some
reason it does not
appear on their website - however the printed version is in Queensland Country
Life. December
28.2006, page 52, columns 2 & 3 under the heading "Pest-bird survey".  I have
again compared
the information I submitted and I stand by that information.  The last sentence
of the article states
that live field trials will be undertaken over the coming year.
The article states that questionaires were sent out to 545 commercial feedlots
and only 42 (8%)
responded which means that 503 or 92% didn't respond and the results appear to
be shown as
percentages of the 8%.
Dr Steve Lapidge states how they propose to exclude parrots.  Perhaps he might
take the time to
explain how he proposes to exclude finches and similar birds.  Like many others
I consider
starlings a pest species but I do have concerns about Australian species which
may be at the
feedlot.
Warren Thompson.