birding-aus

Leeton-Griffith Trip Report, Early Jan.07 (part 2)

Subject: Leeton-Griffith Trip Report, Early Jan.07 (part 2)
From: "Michael Ramsey" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 12:12:25 +1100

  Day 3      4/1/07
  Up early and headed off to Binya State Forest. Thsi place was
  fantastic and seeing Painted Honeyeaters was almost too easy as one
  flew over the car as I stepped out. I stopped first at Pine Drive and
  there were 10 Painted Honeyeaters here. My first Mulga Parrots for the
  trip were here and I also picked up a Striped Honeyeater. A terrific
  mixed feeding flock of Speckled Warbler, Splendid Fairy-wren, Crested
  Bellbird, Southern Whiteface and Singing Honeyeater was also observed.
  Inland Thornbill was here as well as Grey and Pied Butcherbirds. I
  then travelled up to Wattle Dam which has a few more species including
  Black-eared Cuckoo, Turquoise Parrot, Crested Bellbird again, another
  Painted Honeyeater, heaps of Southern Whitefaceand a Hooded Robin.
  Travelling to Store Creek Picnic area next in Cocaparra NP I stopped
  along the Whitton Stock Route and found more Whiteface, another Hooded
  Robin, Mulga Parrots, Red-capped Robin, Striped Honeyeater and a
  Common Bronzewing.
  Store Creek Picnic area had a big flock of White-browed and a few
  Masked Woodswallows. A flock of Yellow-throated Miners had a Noisy
  Miner with them. Mallee Ringnecks, Blue Bonnets and Mulga Parrots were
  also here as well as a Jacky Winter.
  I headed up to Pulletop NR next which proved to be a little
  disappointing. It was very quiet and dry though I did manage to get
  the yellow-rumped race of the Spotted pardalote and Yellow-plumed
  Honeyeater. A female Cockatiel was also seen along the Rankin Springs
  Rd.
  Observing around the Lake Wyangan swamps north of Griffiith was next.
  Unfortunately Nericon Swamp was dry, however a Brown Songlark was
  here. Nearby Campbells Swamp was much better. Marsh and Sharp-tailed
  Sandpipers were here as well as a few Glossy Ibis. A pair of
  Australian Spotted Crakes were also seen. A few Red-kneed Dotterels
  were feeding with the sandpipers.
  Lake Wyangan had few birds on it, though I did see a Pied Cormorant
  roosting on a dead tree.

  Day 4       5/1/07
  It was quite hot this day so I only managed to stop at a few places.
  At Darlington Point along the Murrumbidgee there were more Yellow
  Rosellas and more Little and Noisy Friarbirds. Two Cokatiels were also
  seen on the edge of town. At Brett's SF at Coleambally there were more
  Blue Bonnets, a Black Kite, Black-faced Woodswallows and a
  White-necked Heron feeding in a channel.
  Along the Yanco Creek where it crosses the Kidman way 4 Superb Parrots
  were seen as well as 6 Emus foraging in a nearby paddock. Last stop
  was the lake in Jerilderie where there were a lots of Australian
  Pelican and another White-necked Heron.

  I didn't go to Oombelayan NP though it will be worth a visit in the
  future for birds such as Plains Wanderer, chats, pratincoles and
  Inland Dotterels.

  All up I saw 171 species. Thank you to all the people who responded to
  my email about sites to vist and other helpful information.

  Michael Ramsey, Broadford, Vic.

  Advertisement: Amazing holiday [1]rentals?