birding-aus

Blue Mountains Cockatoos

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Blue Mountains Cockatoos
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 19:48:10 +1100
Hi Birders,

I haven't had much to report lately as the Blue Mountains climbing
season is upon us which doesn't allow much time for birding. But
yesterday I got lucky. I'd idly decided that it would be good to see
all 4 BMtns cockatoos in a day but never got around to it. The hardest
was always going to be Glossies, so I figured it would have to be a
day that I bumped into them.

And so, over coffee Saturday morning a herd of Sulphur Cresteds
visited our Iron Bark and made a lot of noise. Then popped up to Leura
to climb Sweet Dreams, a 177m grade 14 for those who are interested.
As we pulled over the top onto Sublime Point I heard that distinct
weak squawk and lo and behold, 7 Glossies feeding in Casuarinas near
the cliff edge, doubling the number I've seen to date. YTBC's were
heard frequently in the Jamison while climbing, then eventually seen
while camping saturday night at Mt Wilson. 20 odd Gang Gangs in 3 or 5
flocks then completed the quartet emphatically.

Also of note were many, 15 blackbirds and a Wonga on the Mt Wilson rd,
2 Grey Wongs on the side of Bells line of road, many superb and
variegated FW's, Spinebills, more Kings than I've seen for ages,
Crimsons, WT Treecreepers, Pilots and Lyres, and on it goes. The
wildlife (and canyonning for that matter) around Mt Wilson are
sensational and both worth a look. The New Year's been going quite
well so far.

Evan

--
Evan Beaver