birding-aus

NSW Pitt Town Lagoon - 24th December 2006

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Pitt Town Lagoon - 24th December 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:58:07 +1100
Yesterday (24th December 2006), David Mitford, Graham Etherington (from
Brisbane) and I had a good morning's birding at Pitt Town Lagoon in
Sydney's Hawkesbury area.

The water level of the lagoon continues to deplete and faster than what
ever rain has fallen over the past few weeks (unless Sydney's heavy
afternoon rainfall had some effect). The Lagoon however was still deep
enough for a few Australasian Grebe and a few hundred ducks but not for
the Coots, Hardhead etc which appear to have vanished from the area.

The Ruff was still present there and much easier to find as it ventures
more out into the open beside whatever water is left. We also had good
views of the Pectoral Sandpipers (with 2 feeding side by side in front
of us); about 300 Sharp-tailed, 8 Marsh and 2 Curlew Sandpipers; a
Greenshank; a Latham's Snipe; 5 Red-necked Avocets; 8 Red-kneed
Dotterels; 2 Black-tailed Native-hens; 2 Baillon's and 5 Australian
Crakes; a Buff-banded Rail; 50 Pink-eared Ducks; a few Australasian
Shoveler; 20 Glossy Ibis and a Hobby to name a few. There were no sign
of the six or seven Wood Sandpipers I had there a week ago. The Lagoon
may have just became unsuitable for them so may have moved off amongst
100 other Sharpies.

A Brush Cuckoo and a Crested Shrike-tit was also heard calling in the
Eucalyptus trees on the north-western side of the lagoon.

Edwin Vella