birding-aus

The First Koel

To: Birding-Aus aus <>
Subject: The First Koel
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:56:16 +1100
G'day all (and with apologies to Russell)

I'm not really so renowned as much of a Christian, so at this time of year I have to put my own spin on festive crooning:

The first Koel arrived here today
To beguile a young female with raucous display
On my backyard fence and amid the shrub'ry
Loud ascending notes but not quite pleasantly

Koel, Koel, Koel, Koel,
Born is a cuckoo to squawwwwk like hell.

He-ee lookèd up and saw-aw a star
As ee's our neighbourhood's earliest riser by far;
And to-oo us all it sounds such a fright,
And so it continued both day and night.

Koel, Koel, Koel, Koel,
Born is a cuckoo to squawwwwk like hell.

And come daylight he had found a fine mate
And both of them were soon in the happy state;
To seek for some nests was their next intent,
Small cosy retreats with a foster parent.

Koel, Koel, Koel, Koel,
Born is a cuckoo to squawwwwk like hell.

Babes soon hatchèd out but they were not alone
So they evicted the others from their little home
And proceeded to grow with increasing demand,
Upon unwitting parents these children unplanned.

Koel, Koel, Koel, Koel,
Born is a cuckoo to squawwwwk like hell.

At last the day came when they'd leave their small nest,
But the foster parents still had no hope of rest;
With untuneful demands quite unlike a fair song,
They'd sponge off any bird which happened along.

Koel, Koel, Koel, Koel,
Born is a cuckoo to squawwwwk like hell.

When summer has gone their real mum comes forth,
To collect her loud offspring and take them back north,
And there they'll remain until the next year's spring,
When once more in my backyard they'll tunelessly sing.

Koel, Koel, Ko-oellll, Koe-ellllll,
Born is a cuckoo to squawwwwk like hell.

Happy birding

Ricki Coughlan
Belrose, Sydney==============================www.birding-aus.org