birding-aus

Rockwarblers in limestone

To: "Evan Beaver" <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Rockwarblers in limestone
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:26:48 +1100
Hi Evan and all,

Yes, Rockwarblers do occur in limestone, the most obvious example is their presence at Jenolan Caves, but they are also known from Wombeyan and Abercrombie Caves, among others. There are also a number of records of them in granite, e.g. during the 1980s I recorded them breeding in a small cave under boulders at Evans Crown near Tarana NSW. Evidence was that they had used this site for more than one season. I failed to find them in subsequent years and suspect they went extinct from that location - although I haven't been there in the last few years (would be very interested to hear if anyone has).

There was also a thread on Birding-Aus about Rockwarblers in granite in Feb 2004 - see http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2004-02/msg00464.html

cheers

Carol