birding-aus

Mornington Peninsula, Vic - Hooded Plover update

To: <>
Subject: Mornington Peninsula, Vic - Hooded Plover update
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 06:50:00 +1100
Hi all

Here is an update to what I wrote on September 26 - see below.

The Koonya East pair are now incubating their 3rd clutch. For their 2nd
breeding attempt they had all 3 eggs hatch only to have all chicks gone by day
6.
[Interesting the current nest contains 4 eggs and whilst this is very uncommon
for Hooded Plover this is my 3 record for this pair.]

The Koonya West pair, after loosing a nest with 3 eggs on their 3rd breeding
attempt, have just 'written off' attempt number 4.  This time 3 chicks hatched
however they all were gone by day 4.
However I expect that they will try yet again!!!

Cheers
Val