birding-aus

Nobody interested in an American Golden Plover?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Nobody interested in an American Golden Plover?
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 23:12:37 -0800 (PST)
Hi everyone,

Normally this subject would gather much interest. I realise Mike Carter's on
the Coral Sea, but surely someone else can offer an opinion on this bird, which
I originally offered for critique as a possible American Golden Plover.

My reasons for my suspicions are:
- size (between PGP and Grey Plover)
- greyer in appearance overall, but certainly a Golden Plover
- broad, whitish supercilium
- lack of striking golden flecks, but with some golden flecks on wing coverts
- loral smudge extending behind the eye

If you check the plates and descriptions in Hayman et al (1986), it is quite
convincing. The little feedback I have had so far (one person) is that the tail
and primary projection is distinctive, which is also reflected in HANZAB.
However, other features mentioned in HANZAB (as outlined above) are discernable
from the photo (unfortunately I was unable to get a shot or even a look at the
tail etc).

The first 2 links below show the bird in question, while the 2nd two show
another Golden Plover that was roosting nearby. They appear to be quite
different (note especially the superciliums, colour of the birds, loral smudge
and lack thereof on the PGP).

I am very eager to hear from people with expertise in this as I am keen to
learn from the exercise!

Cheers, Mick

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/Frederick_585/ploverzoomed.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/Frederick_585/suspiciousgoldenplover.jpg