birding-aus

Suspicious Golden Plover

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Suspicious Golden Plover
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:58:00 -0800 (PST)
Hi again,

If anyone out there has a particular expertise or interest in Golden Plovers, I
have a photo I took recently of a bird on the Esplanade at Cairns that has some
characteristics of an American GP (such as white supercilium, pale yellow and
whitish spotting on upperparts, noticeably longer bill).

The bird had a jizz of a Grey Plover when first observed, particularly as it
was slightly larger than the Golden Plovers that surrounded it, although it was
obviously identified as a Golden Plover soon after getting a closer look.
However, I would like to be convinced as to why it is definitely a Pacific GP.

The proximity of the bird at the incredible Cairns Esplanade enabled great
views, although without spooking it, the images below pretty much sum up the
views we were able to get (plus we had an appointment with a Red-necked Crake
up on the tableland and couldn't hang round too long!!).

Any feedback would be appreciated. See image(s) below.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/Frederick_585/ploverzoomed.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/Frederick_585/suspiciousgoldenplover.jpg

Mick Roderick